Just say no to salads that are merely a mix of iceberg lettuce with three flecks of purple cabbage. That’s about the same nutrition as in a glass of water. Ready-made salad mixes can be great time savers as the base of a salad. Select top notch ones like a kale-spinach combo, other dark green leafies or cabbage and build from there. Here’s a fave from our home collection that always goes over stunningly at dinner parties and potlucks.
Vietnamese Noodle Salad – Serves 6
- juice of 2 fresh limes
- 3 Tbsp fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 6 cloves garlic
- 4 cups cooked rice vermicelli noodles, cooled
- 3 medium carrots, coarsely grated
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and cut into thin strips or slices
- 1 cup chopped red or green cabbage
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- ½ cup chopped fresh mint
- ½ cup chopped peanuts
- 6 skewers of grilled chicken, pork, tofu or prawns
- Make dressing: In food processor or blender, combine lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, cilantro and garlic. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine noodles with carrots, cucumber, cabbage, basil and mint. Drizzle with dressing and toss well.
- Serve sprinkled with peanuts and topped with a grilled skewer of your choice.