In our family, food is a big focus year round and especially at Christmas. My parents, 3 sisters and all of our husbands cook and help in the kitchen. The kids are right in there with us too! On Christmas Eve we celebrate with a traditional Scandinavian or Ukrainian meal. On Christmas Day, it’s turkey with all the trimmings. We always include a salad that’s dressed in its holiday finest. The salads are so good they’ve become as vital to the meal as the turkey. Here I reveal a secret family salad dressing we’ve been making for years thanks to Mom first discovering it.
Roasted Beet, Pomegrante and Greens in the Pink – Serves 4-6
- ½ cup plus 2 tsp canola or olive oil
- 3 medium beets, peeled, quartered and sliced thinly
- sea salt, to taste
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- ¼ cup red onion, chopped
- ½ tsp each dry mustard powder and salt
- 4-6 cups chopped Romaine or green leaf lettuce
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 green onions, chopped
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- Roast beets: Toss beets with 2 tsp oil and a little sea salt. Place on a parchment or foil lined baking pan and roast at 350⁰F for about 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare dressing: In blender or food processor, mix together ½ cup oil, vinegar, sugar, red onion, mustard powder and salt.
- Assemble salad: Toss together lettuce, parsley, green onion and pomegranate seeds. Arrange beets on top and drizzle with dressing.