Well-balanced mixtures of energizing carbohydrates, protein and quality fats make for ideal sustained fuel. Meals rich in colourful vegetables or fruit are abundant in disease-fighting nutrients that also help working muscles perform and recover well for subsequent day’s activities. Toss together this highly crave-able salad for high octane muscle fuel and a lighter option to much of the rich, comfort food of the Fall season. It definitely won’t be one you only ever make once.
Glorious Vegetable, Kale and Tofu Salad – Makes 8 servings
Recipe inspired by my dear friend Tori at Fraiche Nutrition.com and Whitewater Cooks, a gorgeous cookbook series created in British Columbia.
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast flakes (available in natural foods aisle)
- 2 Tbsp sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp tahini, peanut or almond butter
- 8 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cups grated fresh beets
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 2 cups almonds, toasted and chopped
- 2 cups fresh kale leaves or spinach, stems removed
- 2 cups grilled tofu cubes
- Make dressing: In food processor or blender, combine water, yeast flakes, soy sauce, cider vinegar and garlic. Add oil in a steady stream. There will be leftover dressing for later use on another salad, quinoa, grilled fish or chicken.
- Assemble the salad in a large bowl or on individual plates by topping cooked rice with beets, carrots, kale, almonds and tofu. Drizzle with dressing to serve. Alternately, tofu can be pan fried in a bit of the dressing before placing on the salad.
Latest posts by Patricia Chuey (see all)
- Make It a Meal Salad - January 18, 2019
- - January 3, 2019
- Osteoporosis Awareness Month: Plant Foods and Bone Health - November 5, 2018